Friday, November 30, 2012
I make the wise decision in buying a pair of black cherries!
Thanks to Dean for supplying this magnificient pair. I have also noticed a blue hue on the snow whites. This puzzles me.
Red Rillis have produced their first batch. I will post up some pics when the shrimplets are big enough to view on camera.
Friday, November 16, 2012
AQUA MANTA BREEDING BOX REVIEW
Comes with all the components and it is easy to install. All in all this setup took me less than 5 minutes to assemble.
the box even comes with a lid to prevent evaporation or shrimp from jumping out. I was quite impressed with the thought that went into designing this box.
You may ask why?
One thing that I was very concerned about was splash as the bubbles pop on the surface of the water.
I guess that is why I NEVER have purchased breeding boxes that require a pump to operate. This breeding box solves the problem with its very clever design.
Not only does it have a lid that fits snugly above the outlet pipe but this pipe is also pointed downwards resulting in no splash and no evaporation.
What are the disadvantages? Well to me the main disadvantage is the air pump requirement for this thing to run.
If you do not like to run an air pump to your aquarium, you may want to look into the internal breeding boxes that require no air pump.
The box is designed for fish so the dividers may not divide juvenile shrimp. I have measured the gaps in the dividers at 2mm.
The 2mm gap will not allow adult shrimp to pass through but it will allow newborn juvenile shrimp to pass through. I do not really see this an issue anyway as this breeding box
is set up to house shrimp temporarily not permanently.
- The dividers enable your to configure your chambers in 3 different ways. Small/Small/Small ; Small;Medium ; LARGE SINGLE CHAMBER.
- Fits nicely against the side of a 2 foot tank so should fit a 1 foot cube as well.
- Comes with a lid with side fasteners
- Looks nice and has a very clever design.
- Adds another 1-2L to your cube (If you have a small tank) which increases the volume of your tank.
- Air pump aerates your water and contributes to oxygenation.
- Seems of good quality and is of [b]GREAT VALUE [/b]
- Main disadvantage is you need an Airpump for it to work. But this should be common sense!
- The dividers do not go all the way to the bottom (there is a 2-4mm gap) but this is easily fixed by adding some aquasoil into the container.
- Some of the fittings fall off upon assembly (once assembled and if not tightened) but they are not essential and can be easily super glued on.
CONCLUSION: There are many advantages to this breeding box. Its smart design makes it very useful in breeding setups.
There are some disadvantages but they are small and overall this box is great value in my opinion.
Wednesday, November 7, 2012
To the left are two snapshots of my Rilli's. I think they look fantastic when berried. Those yellow eggs really fascinate me.
Also pictured left are my sunkist shrimp. These sunkist are off very good stock. A trustworthy and experienced breeder. ( Yes you KiwiBigD :) ). There are far too many poor looking cherries passed off as "Sunkist" Shrimp. I would rather pay the extra to get decent quality ones that "wow" the viewer.
Below left is my Red Crystal Selective breeding tank. I will be moving those white shrimp separately into a separate tank soon as it cycles properly.
Also the Mr Aqua starfire tank has been filled and is almost ready to house more shrimp. In this tank I am planning to put in my "Super Black" Cherries. Will post some pictures of them when they arrive.
I just hate this editor. Cant get the pictures aligned
Saturday, November 3, 2012
(Have not got round to taking pics yet but will soon)
Another update is the introduction of three Sochting Oxidators into my setups. These seem to be beneficial in that they diffuse oxygen into the water by breaking up the extra oxygen molecule from Hydrogen Peroxide. I will post some reviews on them later on down the track once I am able to judge how useful they are.
Summer is fast approaching and i have a feeling it will be a hot one. Unfortunately weather is totally out of my control and despite TLC I lost 2 snow white shrimp yesterday. The chiller is now and and my fingers are crossed.