Monday, June 25, 2012

[SHRIMP TANK] Face Patterns Discussion







I have noticed that some of my shrimp have a variety of facial patterns and colours. In the pictures above, there are a variety of patterns visible.

Top 2 Pictures
The Oldest shrimp "Black SS No Entry" is black with a two white spots which look like eyes on the top of its head. I would say the majority of my shrimp have this pattern (a genetic trait).

Middle 2 Pictures
The middle left picture shows the offspring of the shrimp above it. The one on the left has similar patterns to her while the one on the right has a crown on its head.
The middle right picture shows a Crystal Black Shrimp (A grade) with a white face. This is unusual considering its mother has a black face.

Bottom Picture
The bottom picture is a Crystal Red Shrimp from my colony with a red face. I find this is desirable but its legs are only partially coloured. I will be trying to select for shrimp with red face and legs.

TIP: When taking pictures of Crystal Shrimp, using a magnifying glass along with the camera can produce some spectacular closeups.

No comments:

Post a Comment