Wednesday, September 5, 2012

[MARINE TANK] Plate Corals




above: plate coral with mouth open when feeding time and with mouth closed

I purchased a yellow and green Plate coral this week as well as an Acans. All three are very fluorescent under the actinic lights. It is crazy to see these guys feed. It looks like something you would see out of a Sci-fi movie. Also noticed my Xenia began pulsing today.

I feed my plate corals brine shrimp and dry pellets and it seems to accept them okay. The Acans I hear prefers finer foods like Phytoplankton so I will be getting some the next time i visit my LFS.
Here are some pictures of them.

Next in my to buy list would be a yellow, red and maybe a pink hammer. I find the red hammers are very hard to get hold of so it may take a while to find one.
I find it fascinating how the corals open up when the lights are on and shrink to less than half its usual size when the lights go off. I understand they are animals and need to rest but it is interesting nevertheless.

TIP: When mixing up my salt water for water changes I do it in a 20L drum with a screw lid. I add R/O water first and then pour in the salt with a funnel. Shake shake shake and presto!

No comments:

Post a Comment