Sunday, July 22, 2012

[MARINE TANK] 40cm Cube Braceless





So I finally have decided to take some pictures of my new saltwater setup. The sump that came with the aquarium is on the bottom left. However I wanted to have a refugium in my sump with some live rock and macro.

Plumbing
I also went to Bunnings yesterday and bought the following:
Socket BSp 1/2 inch
Vsocket 20mmx3/4inch
Ball valve 20mm
Vsocket 20mm x 3/4inch
PVC dn20mm
25mm tubing
2x Elbows
The end result is return piping to the sump with a ball valve and a 90 degree elbow to prevent gurgling. I will later post up a picture with it fitted into the stand.
They are not joking when they say the marine hobby teaches you some basics about plumbing.

End result is as follows:



I was told this green PVC cement is great for putting it all together.

Skimmer
For the skimmer, I have bought myself a Tunze DOC 9002 Nano skimmer. Will upload some pictures of this later on.

TIP: Teflon tape is great for screw in sections (wrap around the thread 6-8times). On the edges I always also apply some acetic cure glazing Silicon. This secures the pipe against any possible leaks. The Protek green cement is what you need to fit the pipes together and secure them in place. Always apply some silicon around the edges afterwards. It is apparently completely safe once it has cured.

2 comments:

  1. Thats such a nice tank..........
    hopefully when i get some more shrimp from you i will be able to see it in real life.

    with the pvc cement, i have used it for my tanks and have not had any problems just give it a good rince out before you use it. you will still be able to smell it in the pipes but its fine for use in the aquarium. dont breath in the fumes.... bad stuff

    also the olli clip takes realy good photos very clear! do you know if it is compatible with a ipod?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lachie for the tip.
    No I dont think its compatible with the ipod.
    The width of the clip was designed with the iphone4 in mind I think

    ReplyDelete