Sunday, July 8, 2012

[EHEIM OPAL] New Driftwood Platform Arrangement


above: Full tank shot

above: left tank shot and right tank shot
above: my three little children SAE. Right is pearling HC

above: left is a split Erio with new growth. Right is a split Erio that is struggling to survive as it had no roots when it was split.

Get ready for a LONG UPDATE.

New arrivals purchased in on the way
Firstly I have several new plants coming in the following week which I am very excited about.
1. Rotala Macranda Variegated
2. Pogo Helferi
3. Ludwigia Senegalensis

To make some room for these plants, I have trimmed away some more Staurogyne tropica on the left side of the tank. I have been unsuccessful with Pogo Helferi in the past and hence I am trying again. I got a gut feeling I will fail to grow this plant again. It seems to do better in higher pH tanks with gravel. It is worth a try anyhow.
I did have Ludwigia at one stage but lost it all when I rescaped my tank. Hence I am buying a new bunch to add some red colour to the left back corner.

Rescape of Driftwood
I pulled out my old driftwood on the right half of the tank and replaced it with better looking driftwood (I hate goldvine). These pieces look a lot better and have been arranged in platforms for growing Mini Pellia (see pictures). I just love this plant and cannot get enough of it. Although I do love fissidens as well, it tends to gather algae hence I have switched to Pellia.
Hopefully it will grow in nicely.

Update of Eriocaulon Splitting
If you remember from a previous update (see June19 - 2012.) I made a mistake when I split my Erios in half. The pieces fell apart and I ended up with three. Fortunately, the individual pieces are growing new leaves so the split was successful. I am still brainstorming as to how I will scape these plants so they show their full beauty.

Carbon Tax
Got hit with a large increase in my Electricity Bill this week. Up by over $100 a quarter. Unfortunately the carbon tax has not been applied yet so I have to be prepared for another increase in the coming months.
It gave me an idea for a meme.



Finally we finish with an update TIP.

TIP: This week's tip is on red plants. I find that red plants require more light and if you do not have adequate light they will turn green. A good example of this is the Proserpinaca in my tank. If you look carefully at it, it goes red at the tips as it grows closer to the light.
I have a shrimp tank with low Nitrates (measures 0 on my test kits). The red plants in that tank are bright red (see pics). This raises another point. Nitrates should be low to achieve a good red colour. It is important to also keep a relatively high phosphate level especially with Rotala Macranda (1-2ppm). The higher phosphate levels will also keep greenspot algae under control. A too low nitrate level will cause wasting away of lower leaves in this plant, but not in all red plants. So in summary:

How to achieve red plants
1. High lighting
2. Low Nitrates (<10ppm) but not too low
3. Some phosphates (1ppm ideal)
4. Adequate micronutrients (or you get stunting of new growth)

2 comments:

  1. how often can you split erinos? what kind of requirements do they need to grow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lachie.
    You can split them when their leaves reach 180 degrees and touch the gravel again. I split them every month.
    They seem to be doing well in my tank but I am unsure what conditions they require. High lighting and CO2 helps

    ReplyDelete