Thursday, July 21, 2011

Shopping for a better filter


top left: New EHEIM filter setup with Air bubbles! Soon Cutie (Borneo sucker) will be out and about.
top middle: Ugly hanging around

top right: Ugly having a t8 tan


Today me and Ash (my wife) went shopping around for a better filter. I want a new filter due to the following reasons:

1. So that there will be better flow for Cutie inside the tank
2. So that i can increase my stocking rates
3. So that there will be better oxygenation as the Eheim outlet can shoot a stream of bubbles into the water.
4. Addition of bioballs, carbon sponges, Biocylinders and other media.
5. EHEIM filters JUST ROCK

Cutie has been hidden behind the internal filter for 2 days now and I am getting a little worried about him. He is JUST NOT COMING OUT! =(

Anyway I have made the following additions to my tank today
1. 1x EHEIM 2213 external canister filter
2. 1x Albino Pleco (I have named him UGLY as he is just so goddamn ugly and so cool)
3. 1x Juwel Reflector for the monolux hood

Water parameters are:
1. ammonia - 0
2. nitrites - 5
3. nitrates - 0
4. pH - 6.4

It seems I have bypassed the ammonia spike as my plants are actively absorbing the ammonia. The nitrite spike is to be expected. Hopefully it will drop soon enough. I have already seeded my internal filter with gravel from my LFS in Blacktown.

No comments:

Post a Comment