Friday, July 29, 2011

Temperature and lighting upgrade



The Borneo sucker is not as shy as when he first came in. He is particularly very good at coming out at feeding time. Soon as I drop an algae wafer or crab bites in he comes out of his hidey hole to have a feed. Cheeky little fellow.


Ive noticed two problems with my tank
1. Temperature fluctuations
2. Lilaeopsis is dying

The following improvements have been done
1. New Eheim 125watt heater
2. New twin T5HO Lights
3. Upgraded my themometer with a Sera one
4. New plants!
5. A second Borneo sucker x 1

Wisteria Bunch 110250 1
Baby Tears Bunch Bacopa floribunda 110305 1
Fontinalis Bag free-fontinalis 1
Riccia Bag 110780 1
Aquarium Net - 3 inch net3inch 1
Borneo Sucker 3cm CAB300-03 1
Small Rock with Fontinalis 5-6cm 140805 1


I had to take my hood to Auburn and the kindly the shop owner has modified it for me in his workshop. Basically he cut out the existing ballast and added the twin T5HOs. The ballast cost me 100 AUD and the lights cost me 70AUD. I also got some Excel Flourish by Seachem to fertilise my plants.

Good news is that my temperature has stabilised and i have fine tuned it to exactly 23.5 degrees celsius. Bad news is that im broke LOL

Lastly I have done a few things to my tank. I have attacked the Riccia to the left side via onion netting. I have also attached the Fontinalis to the branches of the driftwood with nylon. I have also covered the intake of the filter with netting but it looks ugly so it may not stay there for long. The reason for the netting is so that when my shrimp become berried, I do not want to have to worry about shrimplets being sucked into my filter.

No comments:

Post a Comment